Pursuit of Sustainability
Saint-Gobain Group commitment to carbon neutrality by 2050 is rooted in a long history of reducing our environmental impact. It is inseparable from our ambition to provide customers with solutions to help them decarbonize as well and to reduce their own environmental footprint. Our net zero carbon ambition is also a very concrete manifestation of our purpose, Making the world a better home.
Sustainability: a long-standing commitment for Saint-Gobain
Today, Saint-Gobain pursues a range of methods to reduce our direct emissions on our sites (scope 1), indirect emissions mainly linked to the use of electricity (scope 2), and emissions upstream and downstream of our value chain (scope 3).
These methods include product design and new composition for materials, making industrial processes more energy efficient, moving our energy mix towards low-carbon and renewable sources, working with partners who supply raw material through recycle products and those who transport our products to lower their emissions, and finally, investigating carbon capture and sequestration solutions for residual emissions.
Our objectives for 2030 compared to 2017:
-50% Industrial water withdrawl
0 water discharge in area with extremely high water risk
-33% Scope 1 & Scope 2
-16% Scope 3
-80% Non valorised production residue
+30% Virgin raw materials avoided
100% Recyclable packaging with 30% recycled or bio-sourced content
100% LCA for all of Group product ranges
Saint-Gobain Performance Ceramics & Refractories
Performance Ceramics & Refractories evolves and improves its businesses with our vision: “Pioneering ceramic solutions for extreme industrial applications and a greener world” to commit and deliver results to support Carbon Neutrality by 2050.
The sustainability impacts each of us and every contribution is essential. The aim is to work closely with every stakeholder to ensure that environmental considerations are fully integrated into our day to day thinking and will therefore become an integral part of our actions as we develop new ways of working to minimise our carbon footprint for a greener world.
Saint-Gobain Performance Ceramics & Refractories' Actions:
- Reduce furnace energy consumption and CO2 emissions, for example our NRM solutions (instead of Silica) in foundries reduce CO2 emissions by 100Ks of tCO2 every year
- Increase durability and lifespan, reducing repair/maintenance needs, improve productivity
- Reduce use of toxic raw materialsand complex operations
- Reduce MgO & Carbon content in refractories
- Resist to extreme conditions, chemical/corrosion attacks at high temperature up to 2,200°C to ensure a longer life
- Decarbonanize industries for a transition to future of energy (hydrogen environment)